An Apertif is generally served before a meal, meant to stimulate the appetite and are usually lower-proof drinks.
Liqueurs are distilled beverages comprised of grain, grape, fruit or vegetables with high sugar content and these can be divided into several categories:
- Spirit Liqueurs – these showcase the base spirit flavors like whisky or bourbon with added flavors of honey, cloves, or even fruit.
- Nut and Kernel Liqueurs – these are based on a variation of nuts like hazelnut, walnuts or coffee beans
- Spice and herbal liqueurs – many liqueurs have a variety of herbs and spices
- Fruit liqueurs – citrus or other fruits as well as sweetener are the base
- Cream liqueurs – dairy products are added into the product
Cordials are liqueurs made with fruit juice.